During the first 18 years of my HP career, I had the great pleasure
of working with remarkable people and having incredible direct managers.
Although there was some craziness at the HP CEO level during those
years, I was close enough to the top to learn about major global company
strategy but far enough away that my wings didn't get burned. My
mentors were among the best and brightest in the history of HP and were
renowned for technology innovation and business results.
Nothing
lasts forever, and my HP situation would change in 2010. I faced the
question, "Should I stay or should I go?" Of course, I ended up choosing
to stay at HP for awhile, but my passion for the company and for my job
were gone by the end of the year.
Patrick Scaglia took
a different job at HP in May, and we were without a CTO for a few
months. Things weren't all bad. Although I no longer had a strong
manager, I was able to keep things moving forward in patents, banknote
counterfeit deterrence, HP Tech Con, and our HP Labs
relationship/technology transfer. Brasil R&D continued to grow
stronger, and more and more teams wanted to partner with Brasil. I made
four trips to Brasil in 2010 including one that involved stops in
Recife, Fortaleza, Campinas, Sao Paulo, and Porto Alegre. I was in
Frankfurt and Israel in the summer, and I made a speech at a European
Central Bank meeting in Germany in December.
When
VJ/Shane suddenly hired Mike Salfity to be our CTO and my new manager in
the fall, I began to question my role at HP. Mike was hired without
much diligence. In fact, his only interviews were with VJ and Shane for a
total of less than 90 minutes. That told me a lot about the commitment
that VJ and Shane had remaining - not much. Mike came to HP with a lot
of enthusiasm. On paper, he looked good with a 25 year career at Xerox
and then a year at a smaller company. But, as with people picked up
through acquisitions, we really didn't get any fresh ideas - just
recycled experience from a failing company (Xerox). I was unimpressed
and was never inspired by Mike. This isn't to say that Mike was bad for
HP - he just didn't fill the huge gap for me that had been left in the
wake of Lee, Frank, and Patrick.
Next: 2011: One More Year
No comments:
Post a Comment